Here are some practices and devotions Catholic moms should consider establishing within their homes:
1) First Friday/First Saturday Devotions: This is as old as Fatima, but few younger Post Vatican II mothers practice this wonderful devotion. Our Lady requested we attend Mass and Confession on the First Friday & First Saturday of each month.
2) Eucharistic Adoration: If you have this option available in your church, consider making a holy hour at least once a week. If your church does not offer some times for Eucharistic Adoration, approach your pastor and ask - that's what we did. We started with just 3 hours a week, and have continued to grow. Contact me for more information about this. Check out this link to learn more about Our Lord's True Presence in the Eucharist:True Presence Website
3) Mass: Try to go to a mass occasionally through the week instead of only on Sundays. Many parishes offer a very early morning mass (6:00 - 6:30 am.) Consider going to a few of these daily masses a week. Starting the day off with Jesus in the Eucharist (even when it's very early!) is a great way to get things going!
4) Join a Prayer Group: If your parish does not have any, you may want to consider starting one yourself. Several moms in our parish began a Mothers' Prayer Group several years ago with just a few of us, and it's still going strong.
5) Fasting and acts of Mortification: Our Lady of Medjugorje has been asking for people to fast on bread and water on Wednesdays and Fridays for many years. If that's too tough to do, consider giving up something else on these days instead (tv, coffee, dessert). Encourage you children to join you.
6) Pray the Rosary everyday: This is one request Our Lady has made so many times, we know it must be critical. If you have never prayed the rosary, start small by just doing one dec
(Continued on page 9)